Pre-Admission Transcript Submission
All applicants, both domestic and international, are required to upload ‘UNOFFICIAL’ transcripts for all institutions attended, at the time of application.
Note: International applicants are generally NOT required to submit ‘OFFICIAL’ transcripts at the time of application in order to be considered for admission but MUST upload Official English translations for all native language document submissions. In addition, certain graduate programs may also require applicants to request an official IERF foreign credential evaluation be sent to BYU before they can be considered for admission. Applicants are advised to contact their respective graduate programs to determine if they are subject to an IERF foreign credential evaluation prior to being considered for admission. Please refer to graduate program information and additional admissions requirements here.
If BYU-Provo was the LAST institution attended, you must either:
- Upload a copy of your ‘BYU Record Summary’ which lists all other institutions previously attended and/or;
- Separately upload ‘UNOFFICIAL’ transcripts for all other institutions previously attended that are NOT listed on your 'BYU Record Summary'
For all institutions, whether listed in your progress report or uploaded separately, please make sure that each institution name is listed in a separate institution name field in the educational background section of the online application.
Applicants can access their BYU Record Summary here.
Post-Admission Domestic US Transcript Submission
Applicants who are subsequently recommended for admission by their respective graduate program must submit ‘OFFICIAL’ transcripts and/or proof of degree(s) for all previous institutions attended as a condition of being officially admitted to the university as follows:
- If BYU-Provo was the LAST institution attended:
- You MUST make arrangements to have your ‘OFFICIAL’ domestic U.S. transcripts with proof of degree(s) for all previous institutions attended sent to BYU Graduate Studies ONLY IF THE INSTITUTIONS ARE NOT listed on your ‘BYU Progress Report’.
- All Other Applicants:
- You MUST make arrangements to have your ‘OFFICIAL’ domestic U.S. transcripts with proof of degree(s) from all previous institutions attended sent to BYU Graduate Studies.
- If your final degree transcript lists ALL previous institutions attended with ALL associated transfer credit also listed you may submit this final transcript in lieu of having to request transcripts from all previous institutions attended.
‘OFFICIAL’ transcripts can be sent electronically through Scrip-Safe, National Clearinghouse, or Parchment to BYU Graduate Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, ‘OFFICIAL’ transcripts can be mailed in a sealed envelope with a certification stamp across the seal to BYU Graduate Studies:
BYU GRADUATE STUDIES 105 FPH
PROVO, UT 84602
Post-Admission International Transcript Submission
Applicants who have completed any post-secondary work and/or degrees awarded outside of the United States (including Canada) and are subsequently recommended for admission by their respective graduate program, must initiate an official credential evaluation report either directly or indirectly through International Education Research Foundation (IERF).
The completed IERF credential evaluation report will be sent electronically to BYU and includes a U.S. degree equivalency (if applicable), coursework evaluation, and official grade point average (GPA). The IERF report will be reviewed prior to the applicant being officially admitted to the university. Failure to provide the required documentation to IERF will cause significant delays in your admission process and could seriously jeopardize your recommendation for admission. Please contact IERF directly for more information about the required documentation.
BYU reserves the right to revoke any previous recommendation for admission to any applicant whose IERF report is incomplete or unsatisfactory.
IERF Detailed Report
Applicants must initiate and pay* for their own IERF Detailed Report online but all original academic documents must be mailed directly to IERF including but not limited to the following:
- Official transcripts and mark sheets for all previously attended post-secondary institutions.
- Official degree certificate(s).
- Official English translations of all submitted documents.
Do NOT send official documents to BYU. Please follow the submission procedure as outlined by ierf.org. Original documents and certificates will be returned directly to applicants by IERF by secured mailing.
*In certain circumstances a limited number of graduate departments may elect to pay for the IERF credential evaluation report. Applicants will be notified in writing at the time they are recommended for admission and provided with additional instructions about how to initiate their credential evaluation report without having to pay.
Tips for Uploading Your Transcript
- Obtain an electronic version of your unofficial transcript or scan a copy of a current transcript at the lowest resolution that results in a legible document (we recommend using under 200 dpi).
- Please keep scanned documents to eight and one half inches by eleven inches (8'1/2" x 11'), standard US letter size.
- Institutional web-based transcript/academic record in PDF form are acceptable.
- Ensure that your document is saved as a PDF or Word document, and that its size does not exceed 2500kb.
- If the scanned file is too large, simply make a photocopy first, then scan that photocopy. (Experiment with different settings until you find one that results in the smallest file size.)
- Color documents are not necessary. Scanning in “gray scale” or black and white is strongly recommended.
- Do not upload spreadsheet documents to the online application. Instead, use a screen-capture of the transcript and copy/paste the image onto a Word document.
- Ensure that the institution name and all other identifying marks are visible and clearly legible and that your scan can print on letter-size paper - 8 ½ by 11 inches (21 ½ by 30 cm)
- Please include a copy of the transcript legend or university key for each institution.
- Click the “view document” button to verify whether the uploaded document is legible. If it is not legible, try again. (NOTE: The system automatically converts your uploaded document into a standard PDF file.)
- If you need assistance, please note that public libraries, office supply stores (Kinko's, Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc.), and other services can create scanned documents for you.