Visa Information for Incoming International Students
Please read carefully!
Form I-20 and F-1 Visa Information
Please complete the following steps:
- Use the Form I-20 to apply for an F-1 visa.
- Complete Form DS-160, Application for Nonimmigrant Visa (www.state.gov)
- Pay a US $200 SEVIS fee (see "SEVIS Fee & Form I-901 Information" below).
- Schedule an appointment at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. (Links to each embassy's website can also be found at www.state.gov)
- Pay a US $140 visa fee at the time of application.
- This process usually takes several weeks, but can take months, so you should apply as soon as you possibly can.
Note: Admission to BYU and the issuance of an I-20 does not guarantee that you will be given an entry visa.
SEVIS Fee & Form I-901 Information
United States visa regulations require all students and scholars seeking an F-1 , F-3, J-1, M-1 or M-3 visa at an embassy or consulate abroad to pay a SEVIS fee of US $200. (The form and instructions for fee payment are found online at mvw.fmjfee.com.)
You may pay the SEVIS fee in one of the following ways:
- Mail form I-901 with the fee to the address indicated on the form.
- Pay by credit card over the internet at www.fmjfee.com.
- Have a relative or friend pay on your behalf.
- Pay through Western Union Quick Pay service in your home country, if one is available locally. (Please read the instructions for this payment option at www.ice.gov/sevis.) Bring a printed copy of the instructions and sample of the completed Western Union form to the Western Union Agent to ensure correct processing of your payment. The information on form I-901 must match exactly the information on the I-20. You must also include the SEVIS ID located on the upper right hand corner of the I-20 issued by BYU. You must take confirmation of payment (receipt) to your visa appointment. If you are exempt from an entry visa, you must present this confirmation at the port of entry. If you do not have a SEVIS fee payment confirmation, you must wait at least three days to allow the United States Department of Homeland Security to process your payment. (For more detailed information on the SEVIS fee payment process, please go to www.ice.gov/sevis.)
Note: Canadians and others exempt from student visa requirements must also pay this fee.
Students Entering the United States
If you are a student entering the United States:
- You will be required to present your visa, I-20, and proof of finances to immigration officials at the port of entry upon arrival in the United States.
- New international students are required by federal regulations to check in with International Student Services at Brigham Young University (1351 WSC) before the end of the first week of classes.
Students Already In the United States
If you are an international student already in the United States:
- New International Students: Check in with International Services at Brigham Young University (1351 WSC) before the end of the first week of classes. Bring your Form I-94 (printed), Form I-20, and your passport with you.
- Transfer Students from other U.S. Universities: Check in with International Student Services at Brigham Young University (1351 WSC) within 15 days after the first day of class. Bring your Form I-94 (printed), Form I-20, and your passport with you.
Note: Canadians only need to bring Form I-94 and Form I-20.