Skip to main content

International Applicants

International students have slightly different procedures for the application process. Some elements change and additional information from the applicant is required.

If you have questions about admission requirements, deadlines and english proficiency tests, please view their corresponding pages and watch for any notes that address international applicants.

Evaluating International Work

For all post-secondary work and/or degrees awarded outside of the United States, you must initiate and request to have an official completed credential evaluation report through International Evaluation Research Foundation (IERF) or SpanTran sent directly to BYU Graduate Studies. The reports include a U.S. degree equivalency (if applicable), coursework evaluation, and official grade point average (GPA). The reports are reviewed prior to the applicant being officially admitted to the university.

BYU reserves the right to revoke any previous recommendation for admission to any applicant whose credential evaluation report is incomplete or unsatisfactory.

For more in-depth information about foreign credential evaluations, please refer to our Transcripts page.

Student Finances

As one of the most affordable private universities in the United States, a significant portion of the operating costs of the university is paid for by the tithes and offerings of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Students who are tithe-paying members of The Church are therefore afforded a subsidized tuition rate that is lower than the tuition rate of non-LDS students. This practice is similar in principle to that of state universities that generally charge state residents at a lower rate than nonresidents.

In order for foreign students to procure their applicable F-1 or J-1 student visas, the U.S. federal government requires that all international applicants be recommended for admission from an eligible F-1 or J-1 granting institutions and that the applicant be able to provide sufficient proof of funds for the duration of their studies here in the U.S.

Brigham Young University requires all admitted international graduate students to provide sufficient proof of funds to cover the yearly cost for tuition and estimated living expenses for themselves and any dependents that may accompany them. They must provide proof of finances with our International Student and Scholar Services office (ISSS) AFTER they have been formally admitted to the university. See yearly cost of attendance on the BYU Financial Aid website for estimates.

Visa Policy

Once an international student has been formally admitted to a degree-seeking program at BYU they will then receive separate instructions from ISSS indicating how to complete the international requirements to procure their Form I-20 or DS-2019 documents to obtain their F-1 or J-1 visa. Once the international requirements are satisfied ISSS will mail the Form I-20 or DS-2019 to the student with instructions about how to schedule their visa interview with the closest U.S. embassy or consulate. If a student's visa application is denied, BYU will not intervene in the process, unless the government requests additional information directly from the university.

Any foreign national currently in the U.S. with a B-1/B-2 visa will not be permitted to enroll at the university until they have secured their F-1 or J-1 visa status. Students currently residing outside of the U.S. should not attempt to enter the country as degree-seeking students without first procuring their F-1 or J-1 visas along with their Form I-20, Form I-94, and valid passport.

Before obtaining a student visa you will need to pay the required SEVIS fee. Make sure you keep your proof of payment with your immigration papers. For more information click here or you can visit the BYU International Services website to learn more about getting a visa or about paying the SEVIS fee.

Note: Some exceptions to the visa policy exist for students who are Canadian citizens entering the U.S. from the Western Hemisphere.

Please refer to the International Student Services website for additional information.

International Transfer Students

International students transferring from another US institution will need to request that their SEVIS record be transferred from their current institution to BYU.

The designated school official (DSO) at their current school is required to verify that the applicant is eligible for transfer to BYU upon admission. Failure to initiate the transfer/release will prevent the applicant from being able to receive their new Form I-20 to begin their graduate program here at BYU.

Please contact ISSS for further instructions about transfrerring your SEVIS record to BYU at