International Students

  • International Students

International students have slightly different procedures for the application process. Some elements change and additional information from the applicant is required.

If you have questions about admission requirements, deadlines and english proficiency tests, please view their corresponding pages and watch for any notes that address international applicants.

International Students: If you see this yellow box elsewhere on our site, the contents are specifially for you. Please take care to read them, as international student information may differ from that of domestic students.

Evaluating International Work

For all post-secondary work and/or degrees awarded outside of the United States, you must request an official credential evaluation report through International Evaluation Research Foundation (IERF) be sent directly to BYU Graduate Studies.

The IERF reports include a U.S. degree equivalency (if applicable), coursework evaluation, and official grade point average (GPA). The reports are reviewed prior to the applicant being officially admitted to the university.

Failure to provide the required documentation to IERF will cause significant delays in your admission process and could seriously jeopardize your recommendation for admission. Please contact IERF directly for more information about required documentation.

BYU reserves the right to revoke any previous recommendation for admission to any applicant whose IERF report is incomplete or unsatisfactory.

For more in-depth information about the IERF, including Advisory and Detailed report, please refer to our Transcripts page.

Student Finances

As one of the most affordable private universities in the United States, a significant portion of the operating costs of the university is paid for by the tithes and offerings of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Students who are tithe-paying members of the Church are therefore afforded a subsidized tuition rate that is lower than the tuition rate of non-LDS students. This practice is similar in principle to that of state universities that generally charge state residents at a lower rate than nonresidents.

In order for foreign students to procure their applicable F-1 or J-1 student visas, the U.S. federal government requires that all international applicants be recommended for admission from an eligible F-1 or J-1 granting institutions and that the applicant be able to provide sufficient proof of funds for the duration of their studies here in the U.S.

Brigham Young University requires all international graduate applicants to provide sufficient proof of funds to cover the yearly cost for tuition and estimated living expenses for themselves and any dependents that may accompany them for two (2) years for masters programs and three (3) years for doctoral programs.  See yearly cost of attendance on the BYU Financial Aid website for estimates.

Proof of Finances

International applicants can provide proof of finances a number of different ways:

  1. Personal finances – bank statements, scholarships, investment portfolios, chartered accountant documents etc. 
    • Note: All personal supporting finances need to be liquid assets eg. you cannot use real property as collateral for proof of finances unless you have liquidated that asset and have actual proceeds.
  2. Sponsors – signed Form I-2 Affidavit of Support with supporting financial documents for each sponsor – bank statements, proof of income eg. tax return or verification letter with yearly salary/wages, official document verifying stated sponsored amounts.
  3. BYU Department Scholarship/Assistantship – Form I-1 with department signatures.
  4. Submit all proof of finances to

Please note that the final determination of sufficient proof of funds is determined by the U.S. consulate or embassy officer conducting the visa interview and they have full discretion to approve or deny any visa.

Visa Policy

Once an international student has been admitted to a degree-seeking program at BYU, and completed the financial requirements, the university will provide the necessary visa application materials. If a student's visa application is denied, BYU will not intervene in the process, unless the government requests additional information directly from the university.

Admitted international students with a B-1/B-2 or F-2 visa will not be permitted to enroll at the university until they have secured F-1 visa status. Students should not attempt to enter the United States as a degree-seeking student without presenting a Form I-20, Form I-94, and valid passport.

Before obtaining a visa you will need to pay the required SEVIS fee. Make sure you keep your proof of payment with your immigration papers. For more information click here or you can visit the BYU International Services website to learn more about getting a visa or about paying the SEVIS fee.

Note: Some exceptions to the visa policy exist for students who are Canadian citizens entering the U.S. from the Western Hemisphere.

Please refer to the International Student Services website for additional information.

International Transfer Students

International students transferring from another US institution will need to request that their SEVIS record be transferred from their current institution to BYU.

Admitted applicants transferring from another U.S. school are required to submit the International Student Transfer/Release Form.

The designated school official (DSO) at their current school is required to verify that the applicant is eligible for transfer to BYU upon admission.  Failure to complete this form and procure the transfer/release will prevent the applicant from being able to receive their new Form I-20 to begin their graduate program here at BYU.

Please contact Graduate Admissions at or call (801) 422-7367 for assistance.