DEI & Belonging in Counseling
Knowledge of diversity
Students will increase in multicultural competence (see published guidelines) and will specifically:
1. Demonstrate knowledge of variations in beliefs, traditions, and values across groups that differ by gender, race, socioeconomic status, ethnicity, sexual orientation, abilities, and age.
2. Demonstrate knowledge of treatment issues with individuals from diverse backgrounds and demonstrate relevant skills through role-play.
Rights and responsibilities
3. Demonstrate knowledge of rights and responsibilities of clients, their families, and other professionals, as they relate to issues of diversity.
Characteristics and effects of the environmental milieu
4. Demonstrate knowledge of the characteristics and effects of the environmental milieu of the client and the family including cultural and linguistic diversity and socioeconomic background.
5. Demonstrate knowledge of ethical concerns related to assessment of and interventions with diverse populations.
Own cultural values, privileges, and biases
6. Exhibit awareness of their own cultural values, privileges, and biases and how these impact their professional responsibilities.
Effective multicultural communication skills
7. Demonstrate effective multicultural communication skills.