Please contact the individual department for outcome information.
The master's of science degree program emphasizes clinical expertise and includes nursing theories and concepts as well as extensive clinical experience. Practice based on the best evidence is an important component of the program, and students are required to write a thesis, develop an innovative clinical project, or complete a scholarly evidence-based paper of a relevant clinical problem.
Requirements for Degree.
- Credit hours:
60-63 (depending on culminating writing experience selection): minimum 54-57 course work hours plus 6 thesis (Nurs 699R) or project (Nurs 698R) hours; or a scholarly evidence-based paper (Nurs 623, 631).
- Required courses:
Nurs 555, 600, 601, 603, 605, 606, 607, 608, 609, 619, 621, 622, 624, 625, 626, 628, 630, 632, 635R; 698R or 699R; or 623 and 631.
- Electives: determined in consultation with graduate committee.
- Thesis/Project or a scholarly evidence-based paper.
- Examination: oral defense of thesis or project.
- Accepted by Graduate Studies at BYU.
- Completion of a baccalaureate degree in nursing from a school with national nursing professional accreditation (e.g. CCNE, ACEN, CNEA).
- Current R.N. licensure in Utah in good standing.
- Completion of a basic undergraduate statistics course.
- Completion of a college level pathophysiology course.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 or better. The GPA will be calculated using the cumulative GPA of the applicant’s undergraduate program.
- Three letters of recommendation from employers and former teachers. (Preference is given to current employers).
- Statement of applicant’s purposes and goals for graduate education.
- A personal interview.
- Completion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). All scores (Verbal, Quantitative, and Writing) must be submitted to the University before the Dec 1st deadline. Test scores usually take 2-3 weeks to be processed and submitted.
- Completion of an impromptu writing experience.
|Characteristics of Students from Past Academic Year|
|Three Year Average Test Scores of Admitted Student|
|GRE Composite Score||305.8|
|GRE Quantitative Score||150.8|
|GRE Quantitative Percentile||43.3|
|GRE Verbal Score||155.0|
|GRE Verbal Percentile||65.6|
|GRE Analytical Score||3.9|
|GRE Analytical Percentile||53.3|
|Five Year Average of Graduated Students|
|Average Years to Degree||2.2|
|Graduated Per Year||13.6|
|Five Year Average of Admitted Students|
|Applied Per Year||44.6|
|Admitted Per Year||15.6|