Students are expected to complete 71 credit hours in the following categories:
- Required courses (21 credit hours): EIME 630, EdLF 650, IP&T 653 or CPSE 653; IP&T 745 or CPSE 745; IP&T 674R, 752, 761
- Elective methods courses (12 credit hours)
Students are expected to complete a coherent set of at least four elective courses selected from the categories listed below. Students may enroll for directed individual study on a selected topic in any category in which they have already completed at least one course.
1. Foundations of Inquiry in Education: CPSE 789
2. Designs for Inquiry: EIME 720; CPSE 673
3. Qualitative and Quantitative Methods (one course must be completed in this area): Soc 706R; IP&T 753 or CPSE 753; IP&T 730 or CPSE 730; IP&T 747 or CPSE 747
4. Educational Measurement and Evaluation: IP&T 754; IP&T 692R or EIME 693R
- Content Area Specialty (12 credit hours)
Each student is expected to choose a content area specialty from one of the four options listed below. Students are expected to complete at least four courses within their chosen area of focus including one or two required courses depending on the specialty area selected.
1. The Preparation and Development of Educators
Required courses: TEd 611, TEd 612 and TEd 613
Elective courses: Complete at least one course from the following:
TEd 610, 660, 661, 665, CPSE 605, 611, 618
2. Language, Literacy, and Communication
Required courses: TEd 620
Elective courses: At least 9 additional credits selected from the following
TEd 603, 622, 623; ComD 601, 630, 679
3. Learning and Instruction
Required courses: 6 credit hours including two of these three (CPSE 622, IP&T 620, or TEd 611)
Elective courses: At least 6 additional credit hours selected from the following
CPSE 622, 649, 693R; IP&T 564, 664, 692R, 693R or 750
4. Social-emotional Development and Intervention
Required course: CPSE 649 (3 credit hours)
Elective courses: At least 9 additional credit hours selected from the following
CPSE 614, 655, 693R; IP&T 750; MFHD 623, 660
5. Education Policy Analysis
Required courses: EDLF 750 & 780
Elective courses: At least 6 hours selected from EDLF 721, 722, or 694R
Students are expected to enroll in the weekly seminar (EIME 690R) in each fall and winter semester during their first two years in the program. Students earn 0.5 credits per semester.
- Internships (6 credit hours)
After completing their coursework, each student will be expected to participate in two 3-credit internships or apprenticeships selected from EIME 781, 782, 783, 784, 785, or 786. Internship placements will be based on the interests of each student as well as the needs of the sponsoring agency. Applications must be submitted in writing and approved by both the students' graduate advisory committee and the EIME advisory council prior to beginning the experience.
- Dissertation: (EIME 799R: 18 credit hours)