Policies and Procedures - Section C: AIM
This section contains general information about the AIM system.
- AIM Overview
- AIM Procedures
- Login to AIM
- Navigate in AIM
- Enter Information in AIM
- Access Applicant or Student Record in AIM
- Exit AIM
AIM (Academic Information Management) is the university’s student information system. AIM has user-friendly web pages and data storage in an Oracle database, allowing flexibility, future enhancements, and consolidation.
Many graduate studies procedures at Brigham Young University are accomplished through AIM. All university departments can store and access student and faculty data, and with the proper security clearance, graduate coordinators and program managers can view, update, and add data regarding the history and progress of students in their department.
In compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), access to student records by university officials is based on need to know. When an employee who has computer access to confidential academic information is terminated or quits, his or her AIM access will be removed. Thus students’ AIM records are not available to unauthorized personnel. New student employees that require access to various records through AIM must follow the procedures listed below:
- View the FERPA DVD. http://saas.byu.edu/registrar/aimaccess/ferpavideo.php
- Read, understand and sign the university confidentiality statement.
- Have the College Information Partner prepare a memo requesting the information areas that are needed.
- Send the signed confidentiality statement together with the AIM Access Request (signed by the College Information Partner) to the Registrar’s Office, B-150 ASB or fax to ext. 2-0613. For questions, call the Registrar’s Office at ext. 2-1196. http://saas.byu.edu/registrar/aimaccess/infopartners.php
- Complete the Personnel Change Notification, (OGS Form 3), available on the Graduate Studies website http://graduatestudies.byu.edu/content/all-forms.
- Submit the Personnel Change Notification form to Graduate Studies.
Training on using AIM for graduate administration is conducted by Graduate Studies. To set up a training session, contact Graduate Studies via telephone at ext. 2-5091 or by email at email@example.com.
For AIM technical support, contact the Office of Information Technology or Desktop Support. To provide feedback on functionality, contact Graduate Studies, ext. 2-5091.
Login to AIM
- Open a web browser.
- Navigate to the BYU homepage.
- Log in to myBYU using your BYU Net ID and password.
- Click the AIM icon on the myBYU Interchange page, or enter a page ID in the Quick URL box and then click the Go button.
Navigate in AIM
There are three ways to navigate through AIM:
- Type the page ID (eg. GS01) in the Quick URL box in the upper right-hand corner of the page and then click Go.
- Click a link on the page you are viewing.
- Click the Related Pages link to view a list of pages related to the current page, and then click the link to the desired page.
Enter Information in AIM
The AIM interface uses standard controls found in most online forms, including text boxes, drop-down lists, and checkboxes. In most cases, the interface should be self-explanatory. If you encounter interface problems, please contact Graduate Studies at 2-5091.
Access Applicant or Student Record in AIM
- Log in to AIM.
- Navigate to the desired page.
- Enter the last name, Net ID, or BYU ID number of the applicant or student in the Last Name/Identifier text box. If using the last name, enter the first name of the applicant or student in the First Name text box.
- Tab to the Go link and press Enter, or click the Go link.
If multiple applicants or students have the same name, a list of applicants will appear. Select the appropriate applicant or student by using the birth date or Net ID as a reference.
- To email a student, click the name of the applicant or student listed near the top of the page. Clicking the name will open an email in the default email program.
To log out of AIM, click the Sign-Out link in the upper right-hand corner of any AIM page, then close your web browser or select File and then Close.