Please contact the individual department for outcome information.
The most recognized professional credential in public health practice and leadership, the Master of Public Health (MPH) is a practice-based degree that enables students to gain knowledge basic to public health. The MPH program at BYU prepares students to function as public health professionals in government, nonprofit, healthcare, and other settings; and provide leadership in the field of public health.
The average length of time required to complete the MPH program is two years, depending on course load and previous academic training or professional activity.
Requirements for Degree. (Effective Fall 2014)
- Credit hours (48): 36 hours of required courses; 6 hours of elective credits; 6 hours of field experience (300 contact hours).
- Required core courses: HLTH 600, 602, 604, 606, 607, 608, 612, 618, 690.
- Requirements for the field experience are determined by the student’s graduate committee and are based on prior education, experience, and present professional interests.
- Examinations: certification exam (Certified in Public Health), field experience written report.
TOEFL if English is not first language
- Statement of professional intent: Include preparation and background for the MPH program, including applied language experience; career goals in public health; basic reasons for choosing a career in public health; notable qualities and talents that would enhance success in a public health career; research interests; professional interests; and reasons for applying to the Brigham Young University's MPH program
- Baccalaureate degree with a major or minor in public health, school health education, health promotion, biological sciences, nursing, anthropology, food science & nutrition, or other allied fields
- Minimum GPA of 3.2 for last 60 hours of upper-level course work
|Characteristics of Students from Past Academic Year|
|Three Year Average Test Scores of Admitted Student|
|GRE Composite Score||309.2|
|GRE Quantitative Score||152.7|
|GRE Quantitative Percentile||50.5|
|GRE Verbal Score||156.5|
|GRE Verbal Percentile||69.8|
|GRE Analytical Score||4.2|
|GRE Analytical Percentile||62.9|
|Five Year Average of Graduated Students|
|Average Years to Degree||2.0|
|Graduated Per Year||12.4|
|Five Year Average of Admitted Students|
|Applied Per Year||37.2|
|Admitted Per Year||15.0|