Global Impact of Combustion Processes
As an introductory course in combustion, students will understand and appreciate the global impact of combustion processes and the wide breadth of applications.
System Analysis & Combustor Design
Students will be able to perform basic combustion calculations involved in system analysis and combustor design.
Students will understand basic combustion properties and processes including the following:
- Adiabatic flame temperature, the mixture fraction, and chemical equilibrium
- Thermochemistry, and combustion kinetic mechanisms
- Pollutant formation mechanisms for NOx, SOx, soot, and CO
- Combustion in canonical reactors such as plug flow and perfectly stirred reactors
- Transport equations governing mass, momentum, and energy
- Laminar and turbulent premixed and nonpremixed flame theories, including flame speed, flame lengths, and basic scaling laws
- Concepts of flammability and ignition
- Solid and spray combustion models