Students will deepen their understanding of pastoral ministry.
• Understand foundation models of pastoral counseling and spiritual care.
Transference and Counter-transference
• Be aware of personal issues that may hinder the pastoral counseling process.
Pastoral Counseling Skills
• Acquire inter-personal relationship skills, and knowledge in specialized areas of pastoral counseling, e.g., attending, exploration, immediacy, insight, and clarification.
• Listen, hear and understand the individual's experience and perspective.
• Identify how religion, personal concerns, values, or other issues hinder or help the change process.
• Be aware of the many resources available to military personnel and families in the Armed Forces, and know when to refer.
• Be aware of issues like suicide, grief, PTSD, death, and how loss of hope affects pastoral care.