Addictions and Violence in Marriage and Family Therapy
At the conclusion of the course students will be able to:
1) Describe theories of addiction and violence and how they impact individuals, couples and families with an emphasis on family systems theories.
2) Describe empirically-supported assessment instruments and interview techniques for assessing addictions and violence in the family.
3) Describe treatment techniques for individuals, couples and families with addictions and violence problems with an emphasis on marital and family therapy approaches and unique approaches for helping LDS couples and families..
4) Identify ethical and legal issues and the therapist=s personal issues present when working with families with addictions and violence.
5) Describe self-help resources in the community including 12-step programs, support groups, and inpatient and outpatient treatment programs, self-help literature, etc.